speech-dispatcher

Jacob Schmude jschmude at adelphia.net
Wed Apr 28 18:54:21 EDT 2004

Hi
Interesting. Does your sound card work for other things? Can you play a
sound file through it? The default module that will be used is flite,
which usually always works. Does speech dispatcher work? Try this:
spd-say "Hello, this is a test"
after speech dispatcher is started. If this works, we know speech
dispatcher is set up properly. NOte that older versions of speech
dispatcher simply called the command "say".
Something else I've noticed occasionally: If you're using a hardware synth
with speakup and try to switch to softsynth, it can behave strangely,
often the software synthesizer device isn't recognized when this happens.
Best thing to do in this case is remove all speakup modules and then do a
modprobe speakup_sftsyn--this ensures that the softsynth driver is the
only one loaded at the time.
HTH