Understanding hardware support

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Apr 27 20:01:42 EDT 2004

Hi, Debee:

You've got it essentially correct. It seems no one has told you how to spot running modules. Try:

lsmod

I am presuming zipspeak provides this command, but I'm not certain.

The only thing I'm not reading in any of the responses you got--and you got some very good ones--is the understanding that one can choose, at the time of configuring the kernel build, whether certain device drivers will be built as stand alone modules which can be inserted into, or removed from the kernel ; or, whether they are to be compiled into the kernel itself. In the latter instance they are "compiled into a monolithic kernel." Not all can be compiled in. Some must be built as modules.

By the way, modules also make the kernel more flexible. You could not compile in mutually incompatible drivers, but you can compile them as modules. You just can't load both at the same time.