problems installing dectalk

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Mon Apr 26 17:13:18 EDT 2004

At 03:39 AM 27/04/2004, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
>Am also going to send this info to fonix, but thought i'd also advise the
>list and see if anybody else had these problems.
>I downloaded linux_runtime_5.00_intel.tar.gz and placed in in
>/usr/local/src.
>This downloaded as an octet steam and I would have thought it would have
>downloaded as a gzip.

It is supposed to be a gzip.

>As root, I ran
>tar zxf (filename)
>and got
>gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
>tar: Child returned status 2
>Howeever,  if I gunzip it first, I still get the trailing garbage stuff,
>ut then when I do tar I don't get any errors.

Didn't seem to have a problem with that.

>When I run ./installer, it asks for my serial number.
>Then I get:
>Installing libraries
>Installing dictionaries
>Installing sample program
>Installing include files
>setting up DECtalk.conf
>./files.sh: line 37: syntax error: unexpected end of file
>
>Indeed, my ./files.sh ends with
>grep $LIBS /etc/ld.so.conf >/dev/null || {
>   echo $LIBS >>/etc/ld.so.conf; /sbin/ldconfig }
>
>and then a blank line.

I got the same thing. It seems that there is an error in their bash
scripting. It still works however, as you found.

>Last but NOT least, i really am sorry if this is an unbelievably stupid
>question, but i can't figure out where to find instructions; do i have to
>go to the website or are they in the package somewhere?

Instructions for what exactly? I think there is only a readme in the
package. Generally programs that are written with DECtalk are linked
against the two libraries. The only software that I know works with DECtalk
in Linux is Gnopernicus, Emacspeak and yasr via the Emacspeak DECtalk server.

Luke