Serotek is a company

Saqib Shaikh S.Shaikh at sussex.ac.uk
Sun Apr 25 16:38:09 EDT 2004

HI

One nice thing about the blindness community is that it is quite small and
personal.  It's great to be able to call up the tech support guys of a
company such as GWMicro, who sell products to governments of many nations,
and whose products are used all over the world, and then be able to ask for
someone by name.  It's also nice when a newsletter from a company talks
about the CEO's marriage.  But this same informal friendlyeness is also a
disadvantage.

Mike Calvo is the CEO of a company, Serotek, who have made some of the most
inovative products in recent years.  Matt Campbell is the chief software
engineer.  Now we can't talk about Matt and Mike as though they are family
friends - they are, at the end of the day, businessmen like Bill Gates and
Steve Balmer.  Admitedly, they're probably a lot nicer and much more
ethical, but we can't start talking about the views of employees of
companies; we should only be talking about the company's public oppinions.
This is harsh, I know, but affectively people here are getting involved in
internal politics and that's not right.

Just my 1.4 pence worth.

Saqib