Noone could be bothered answering my post, maybe if I ask the same thing in a different way they will - or maybe they hate newbies

Ann Parsons akp at eznet.net
Sun Apr 25 07:05:48 EDT 2004

Good morning, Jonathan,

    Jonathan> I'd like to get into the whole open-source/Linux thing.
    Jonathan> Until now, I've only been able to use Microsoft products
    Jonathan> as I am a user of Jaws for Windows.

    Jonathan> I'm about to get a new computer at home and would like
    Jonathan> to duel-boot it with Linux. So, I've got a Dectalk
    Jonathan> Express, so which is the best distribution of Linux to
    Jonathan> get?

Part of your problem is that when you first put forward your question,
you replied to a message about zipslack.  Therefore, anyone wishing to
help you wouldn't have read your post.

The answer to your second question is as varied as the members of the
speakup list.   Each person likes his or her own distribution best.
I'm using Debian.

    Jonathan> After I get going, I will want to use Gnome and
    Jonathan> Gnopericunus, but I'd also like console access to.

Well, um, Gnopernicus isn't ready for newbies to play with yet.  It's
in Beta and it is quite difficult to configure.  My suggestion would
be to start with console apps, and learn about Linux, then go from
there.  Your first task is to read as much  documentation as possible
so that you will understand the Linux OS.  Suggest you go to:

http://www.enabling.org/linux.html

This will give you URL's for general information and get you started.

Go to:

http://www.linux-speakup.org

for ISO images with speakup installed on them.

I'm sure people will help you once they realize what you need.  It
always helps to write messages with a clear subj line.   This advice
hold true for any list you're on, not just this one.  Replying to an
msg that has nothing to do with your interest or your question, will
only get it buried out of hand!  <smile>

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons
email:  akp at eznet.net
WEB SITE:  http://home.eznet.net/~akp
"All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost."  JRRT