pending beta testing, Zipspeak 9.1 will be available

Saqib Shaikh S.Shaikh at sussex.ac.uk
Sat Apr 24 18:36:37 EDT 2004

Hi Nick and all

Sorry I didn't reply to Debee's email on list - I sent her a long email
straight away, even before other people posted their replies to the list.  I
just say this so that people know I'm still alive.  I'm sorry for the lack
of web page - the university has been having problems with their web server
and is moving all pages across to another server; my home page appears to
have got lost in the move.

You're welcome to start up making Zipspeak 9.1 if you want; the reason I
didn't do so is because I didn't see any point.  If you think it is
necessary then definitley go ahead and do it.  In my email to Debee I
summarised the contents of an article that is on my home page, regarding
making your own Zipspeak.

I now quote from my email to Debee:
The reason that Zipspeak is still based on an older version of Slackware is
that since Slackware now comes with Speakup inside there's not a great deal
if point in having a separate Zipspeak.

I don't use Slackware these days, but you can try this -- let me know if it
works, and in either case I'm always happy to help you out.  So, if you want
the latest version of Zipspeak, make it yourself as follows:

First of all download
ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.1/zipslack/zipslack.zip
Unzip this and edit Linux.bat as you did for the old zipspeak.  This'll give
you a non-talking distro.

Then navigate to
ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.1/kernels/speakup.s/

This directory contains three files: bzImage, config and system.map.gz
Download them.

Rename bzImage to c:\linux\vmlinuz
Copy config to c:\linux\boot\config
Uncompress system.map.gz and then copy the uncompressed system.map to
c:\linux\boot\

Then try running linux.bat with the appropriate line in it.  If you're using
a dectalk on com1 this may be:
\linux\loadlin \linux\vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 speakup_synth=dectlk
speakup_ser=0 rw

Let me know how you get on with this.

Saqib