Fedora / AMD-64

Whitley CTR Cecil H WhitleyCH.ctr at cherrypoint.usmc.mil
Thu Apr 22 13:39:27 EDT 2004

Hi Janina,
Have they backported all the fixes to 2.4 for a-64 Fedora core 1?  Isn't
core 2 totally 2.6 based?

As for gentoo and smp support, I believe they used the 2.6 kernel for smp,
and that's what gives the problem.  I would guess that you could compile a
2.4 kernel with smp support though....  I've been intending to load Linux on
my new machine, but haven't yet.  It's easier to find excuses not to, rather
than doing the work.  Of course, with all the old hardware i've got laying
around I could stand up a couple systems that would run just fine.

Cecil