Dectalk 5

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Wed Apr 21 22:49:38 EDT 2004

At 12:37 PM 22/04/2004, Doug Sutherland wrote:
>Does anyone have any opinions on what is the best sounding software
>voice synthesizer available? I'm interested in hearing about it.
>Even if they are commerical or expensive. The only ones I have heard
>are festival, dectalk, and viavoice. I thought viavoice sounded the
>best, but the linux version is obsolete. Are there others?

Yes. There is cepstral (http://www.cepstral.com) and they have a version
for Linux. It is a really nice voice, and from what I have been able to
test with Gnopernicus, it is nice and responsive.

However there is a big bug at the moment. The Cepstral software locks up if
speech is interrupted. They are currently working on that issue, but I
haven't heard anything about it yet.

I could easily make a sample of cepstral, however there is no need as one
can go to the website and do it themselves. I think you can even do that on
the fonix site for DECtalk as well.

Luke