Fedora 2

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Apr 21 16:48:26 EDT 2004

I suppose it might be more proper for Bill to answer, but the short answer is that there are still issues. As of this writing, I don't believe we know how to compile Speakup into the 2.6 kernel. Sounds like a show-stopper issue to me.

Another issuewhich will not go away when the Speakup issue is resolved is the introduction of SE-Linux support. Of course, one might just turn SE off. But, one might actually want to learn it. Unfortunately, it's proven to be rather daunting to many so far. Certainly, it will make the environment different.

In case you're unaware, SE is Security Enhanced, and functions rather like a super set of permissions designed to insure that systems remain more secure. In other words, you might not get to telnet across the open net, but be pushed to using ssh, things like that.