To qmail gooroos out there

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Tue Apr 20 20:03:55 EDT 2004

First, do a telnet to localhost port 25, and see if qmail comes up. If
it doesn't, then it isn't running, let me know if you need help
determining why this is.

Assuming that qmail is running, I will assume that you have followed
life with qmail's recommendations, and are running qmail via
daemontools, and ucspi-tcp.

Check that you have a file called /etc/tcp.smtp, and that it contains the
following:

127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""

If you don't have a /etc/tcp.smtp file, or if it doesn't have a line
like the above, create that file/edit it, and then run:

qmailctl cdb

Next, you want to make sure that you have a
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts file, and that it is empty.

Next, edit /var/qmail/control/locals, and add the line:

localhost

Restart qmail, and give things a try again. Also note that
/var/log/maillog is your best friend. Note that I haven't had to
configure qmail for a stand-alone machine, so the instructions I gave
are based only on my knowledge of qmail's configuration, and not on
actual experience configuring it for a dial-up machine without a
domain.

Also, you didn't build qmail from source by hand, did you? There is a
debian package that will grab all the sources for you, build and
configure them for you as well. It's not fool-proof, but I'd say it
does a good job.

If you still have problems, then seeing all your files in
/var/qmail/control/, as well as relevant output from /var/log/maillog
will help.

Greg