Linux Installation Question

Saqib Shaikh S.Shaikh at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Apr 20 16:42:24 EDT 2004

In general you will not need to install any Xwindows components, however
there may be cases where you want to use a console application that requires
X libraries.

For example, parts of the Emacs editor require just the core X libraries -
not X Windows itself.  Likewise some command-line, text-only graphics
manipulation packages require X libraries.  But you won't need to worry
about this as hopefully the RPM system will figure out when you need things
and when you don't.  You just use RPM to install the packages you wish - for
example, nano for text editing, mutt for email, mc for file management and
Links for web browsing - these are jut examples - everyone has their own
favourites.

Saqib