distribution of Linux with Brltty in the kernel (fwd)

Leslie Fairall fairall at ns.shellworld.net
Tue Apr 20 12:04:03 EDT 2004

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:55:23 -0400
From: Dave Mielke <dave at MIELKE.CC>
To: PBD-L at MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU
Subject: Re: distribution of Linux with Brltty in the kernel
Here is the link to Brltty:

[quoted lines by Leslie Fairall on 2004/04/20 at 10:43 -0400]

>I now have a new Dell computer with an extra 40 GB b hard drive to
>install a distribution of Linux. I'm not a speech user at all, so I'm
>looking for a distribution of Linux that might have Brltty in the kernel
>so that I can install it without sighted assistance.

To be technically accurate, you're looking for BRLTTY in the intaller. BRLTTY
doesn't actually run within the kernel. This being said, if you go to BRLTTY's
web site, you can download an image of the installer for Fedora Core 1 which
has BRLTTY in it.

    Go to [http://mielke.cc/brltty/].
    Click on "Download".
    Click on "Braillified Installer/Rescue Images".

All the instructions you need are right there.

>I will be using an Alva Satellite 570

Can you use its serial port, rather than its USB port, for the install?
There's a problem which I haven't chased yet wherein the installer fatally
complains when the USB port is in use. It's probably because, for probing, it
needs to reenumerate the devices on the bus but can't when one is in use. You
can, of course, use the Satellite's USB port after the system is up and
running.

http://familyradio.com/                   | http://mielke.cc/bible/