Sound card recommendations?

Al Puzzuoli alpuzz at comcast.net
Wed Apr 14 10:29:50 EDT 2004

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a sound card for use on a machine
dual booting Win xp and Fedora core?
My machine came with the ac97 audio chipset onboard.  The ac97 worked well
enough in Windows, but under Linux, I had timing problems that made festival
and other synths sound like they were on speed.  I know there are
workarounds to this but i decided that the best thing would be to use a
higher end card that didn't experience these issues.  Therefore, I installed
an SB live.
The soundblaster works perfectly under Linux but not so well under Windows.
I use jaws and am experiencing the crackling speech with eloquence problem
as documented in the FS knowledge base.  I have tried the workarounds
suggested by fs, and neither of them are perfect.
In short, I am looking for a card that is supported and works well  out of
the box with both operating systems without the need to install any  third
party drivers and/ or patches.

If anyone knows of such a beasty, I would be much obliged for the
information.

thanks,