NO MORE IDE_SCSI!!!

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Sat Apr 10 21:43:29 EDT 2004

Just thought I'd point this out in case I wasn't the only kernel 2.6 user
who hasn't discovered it.
You no longer need to use ide-scsi for your cdburner--no scsi emulation,
no generic scsi, no scsi cdrom, no line in lilo.conf. I had been seeing
the messages at bootup about ide-sci being depricated (though of course it
still works) and finally did a google search as I couldn't figure out what
it meant. I didn't mark the really good explanation I found and now I
can't seem to get the right combination of words to locate it. But
basically, you remove the ide-scsi append line and all the scsi and scsi
emulation configuration in your kernel (except of course for whatever you
have that really is scsi), remove any links you had to scsi from
/dev/cdrecord etc., enable your atapi cdrom support. Then if using
cdrecord, you use
cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc (or whatever hd it is) and you are in business. I
think I read this might not work for some other program with dvds but not
sure of the details. I don't know whether or not there are pitfalls or
disadvantages, but I just tried it with a data burn and it was fine.
Haven't done an audio cd yet.
Just thought some people might like to know, though it's kind of ironic
considering how ard some of us worked to get ide-scsi working.

--
Cheryl