ardour (was: Re: audacity and speakup?)

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Apr 10 16:18:59 EDT 2004

I don't follow, Karen. Where's the efficiency? Are the tasks sequential or parallel? If they're sequential, then I don't see the problem in the CLI. If they're parallel, I still don't see it as you can open more than one console and launch multiple applications.

So, let's look at it step by step:

If you need to work on a particular file--say to apply a band pass filter in order to pull out some rumble and some rather annoying highs:

In the GUI app, you must first load the app and make certain that all the devices are working.

In the CLI you don't load anything, you just make sure your devicesw are working.

In the gui you do file open and scroll to a particular filename. Then you go elsewhere and supply the filtering rules--how I'm not sure. Perhaps you scroll to set the lower limit, then go to another box and scroll to set the upper limit? Then you tab to OK. Then you're back in the main screen and your issue OK to do the job. Does that sound right?

On the command line you simply specify it all in one command:

ecasound -[filter arguments] -i [input file] -o [out putfile]

Bingo, you have a new file with the filtering applied. And you still have the original in case things didn't come out right.

Loomks to me like the CLI is more efficient, but only if you really know the application's command structure. If you can't remember things and need the gui to remind you, well then, I guess that's the efficiency problem.