Linux help Please!

Doug Sutherland wearable at cogeco.ca
Sat Apr 3 08:47:51 EST 2004

Luke wrote:
 > You forgot:
 > make mrproper
 > (before make config)

Yeah, however, if you install the kernel source on a distribution, you often
get a .config already set up with a set of decent options. And if you do a
make mrproper it deletes that. For someone new to compiling kernels, deciding
what to do in make config can be very confusing. So it may make sense to use
a default kernel config from a distribution.

I actually use a script to build kernels, so I only have to type one command
to do it. Once I have a kernel .config that I like, I save it to /boot with
the kernel rev number, like /boot/config-2.4.25. If I want to compile a new
kernel I just copy this script linux-2.4.25.sh into the /usr/src/linux dir
and run it ./linux-2.4.25.sh

#!/bin/sh
rm -rf /lib/modules/2.4.25 &&
rm -f /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25 &&
rm -f /boot/System.map-2.4.25 &&
make mrproper &&
cp /boot/config-2.4.25 /usr/src/linux/.config &&
make oldconfig &&
make dep &&
make bzImage &&
make modules &&
make modules_install &&
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.25 &&
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25

I have symbolic links in boot for
vmlinuz-2.4.25 - > vmlinuz
System.map-2.4.25 -> System.map

Because I use grub there is nothing else to do except reboot after running
this script.

There is one thing I do slightly differently, I use the gcc 2.95.3 for my
kernel builds, because it is very stable, and is what the kernel folks
actually recommend as a compiler for kernels. So my script does this in
the make lines:

make CC=/opt/gcc-2.95.3/bin/cc dep &&
make CC=/opt/gcc-2.95.3/bin/cc bzImage &&
make CC=/opt/gcc-2.95.3/bin/cc modules &&
make CC=/opt/gcc-2.95.3/bin/cc modules_install &&

   -- Doug