possible new Speakfreely project

Shaun Oliver shaun.oliver at optusnet.com.au
Sat Apr 3 02:20:52 EST 2004

I heard tell that Alex Snow delivered up the following on Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 06:42:15PM -0500,
> another thing that should be done to speakfreely is to improve it's
> nat support. I think this discourages the less knolageable users
> because they may not know how to modify router settings and such. This
> is why I've seen a lot of people use ventrilo because It's easy to set
> up network wise. if speakfreely supported this I think more people
> owuld use it.

as I understand it, the reason that apps like yahoo's voice chat and
ventrilo are able to work without modifying router settings is because
the return path is sent out along with the data packet carrying the
audio so that various appliances inbetween the client and server or
other client can send it to the correct destination.
I did hear the correct term for this somewhere and I can't think of it
off the top of my head but yes it would be a great idea.

--
Shaun Oliver

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."
email: shaun.oliver at optusnet.com.au
WEB: http://blindman.homelinux.org/~blindman/
IRC: irc.awesomechat.net:6666
IRCNICK: blindman