Linux help Please!

Doug Sutherland wearable at cogeco.ca
Fri Apr 2 20:33:11 EST 2004

 > need to get telnet or some sort of service up and running

If you are running inetd on that linux server, you may need to edit the
/etc/inetd.conf and make sure this line is not commented out:

telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/tcpd in.telnetd

You cannot telnet in as root user. So you must create a userid for
yourself before trying to telnet in from windows. You can do

useradd ryan
or if that doesn't work try
adduser ryan

then set the password
passwd ryan

 > for my roomate to transfer the files from his windows box to my HD.

Telnet allows a login session but not file transfer. There is also a
line for ftp in /etc/inetd.conf, make sure it is not commented out

ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd proftpd

Just like telnet, you can't login with ftp as root, so you will use
the ryan login.

You many need to check your init scripts in /etc/rc.d to make sure
that inetd, telnet, and ftp are started during initialization. The
details of this depends on your distribution. Before even looking at
that though, set the two machines on the same subnet, and trying
doing the telnet and ftp into the linux box. It may work if the
init scripts are starting the services.

 > After we get telnet set up how would I go about installing speakup
 > and or applying the patches to the kernel.

Use the speakup 1.5 before trying the cvs stuff. Extract the speakup
file in /usr/src. Then cd to the speakup directory, and run the
install program to patch the kernel source, but doing

./install

 >  /usr/src and didnt find a folder that reads linux?

You may not have the linux kernel source installed. Try doing this:

ls -l /usr/src/linux*

If you see no linux-2.4.xx and no linux, then you don't have the
source installed. Install the source and then make sure that there
is a link for /usr/src/linux -> linux-2.4.xx. If the link doesn't
exist, but the linux source does, create the link like this:

cd /usr/src
ln -s linux-2.4.25 linux

(use your specific kernel rev for that command)

With the linux source installed, after running the ./install within
the /usr/src/speakup-1.5 directory, you need to compile the kernel.

You need to do something like this:

make config
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

When the make config is run, there will new options in console
drivers for speakup. If you compile your specific syth module
into the kernel (statically, not as module), then it should work
on boot.

See the speakup docs that are inside the speakup dir for more
information. You might want to redirect the output of the kernel
build as kirk describes in his docs.

If you get stuck, ask questions.

You may also be able to find a kernel with speakup built in already.
If you ask for help later, mention which distribution of linux you
are using (redhat, fedora, slackware, debian, or ?).

   -- Doug