g++ problems

Tom and Esther Ward tward1978 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 1 03:02:58 EST 2004

Hi, Rob.
Wel, c++ compilers can compile c code, but a c compiler can not compile c++
code.  So in this context g++ can compile both c and c++ source, but gcc can
only compile c code only.
It is true that c++ is derived mostly from c, but there are several
differences in programming methodology and design, different headers, etc...
Some might argue that a class is nothing more than a glorified struct, but
you can do much more with classes above and beyond a struct  which gets in
to the relm of oop design like encapsulation, pollimorphism, etc...
In C++ everything is centered around objects and classes, which once you
adopt the oop design moddle it is hard to go back to plane old C.
Especially, since languages such as java, c++, and VB .net, and others have
adopted the oop design moddle.