Learning Linux

Tom and Esther Ward tward1978 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 1 01:35:57 EST 2004

Hello, ryan.
If you want a totally free software speech solution for the shell you can
download the flite 1.2 tts engine, eflite 0.38 speech driver, and yasr 0.6.5
which is a fairly good alternative to speakup. However, many people dislike
flites voices.
If you do not mind paying $50 you can get the dectalk RT tts which is as
good as it gets for software speech and use yasr and the emacspeak Dectalk
speech driver for a software speech solution.
I'm not sure but I think your braille lite is supported by a screen reader
called brltty. If so that would give you braille support as well.
Hth.