Gnome for redhat 9

Sina Bahram sbahram at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 25 16:21:52 EDT 2003

Ok, I did that, but now I have a few problems. I got apt4rpm. I ran
apt-get and upgraded the packages, and installed all the latest stuff it
had to offer. However when I type

apt-get install gnome

I get an error saying that while gnome was found in the database it can
not be installed. Now I read another message on here about changing a
line in my sources.list file, but this is a little difficult for me to
do because of my unfamiliarity with text editers like VI. I tried ftping
the file to an ftp I have access too, then downloading it onto my
windows box, changing the appropriate line, and then uploading it back;
however, as expected the file didn't work when I tried

apt-get install gnome

It said some error on a line, which I gathered to simply be a difference
in line breaks or any other linux/windows incompatibility. So is there
anyway I can get this sources.list file, from an ftp, since I can use
ftp when I ssh into the box I'm trying to install gnome on.

Sorry if this is unclear, and I am extremely fustraited at myself, since
if I had to do something like this in windows, it would take me the all
of three seconds or less *sigh*. But I'm willing to do whatever, so
please let me know.

Thanks again,
Sina