dhcp help requested

Scott Howell scott.howell at nasa.gov
Wed Sep 24 08:39:53 EDT 2003

	Hello Speakup friends,

Well I'm temporarly using my work E-mail address until I get my cable
connection working. Therefore I have a question regarding the Debian Potato
installation. I'm using the disks off the ftp site and from what I can tell
I get to the point where I'm to configure the network, but I'm having some
problems. I have a cable connection whcih uses dhcp and from what the cable
company tellss me they don't support anything but windows, but well gee
does this surprise anyone, however, there are folks using Linux with their
service. This leads me to believe their dhcp implementation is normal so
all should work.
I have a 3com card its an older isa 10mbps model that uses the 503 driver.
When the module was installed there were no errors and if you type ifconfig
it gives me some basic info about the card like the irq and so on. Of
course it does not provide any ip or other info as one hasn't been assigned
to it. So I let the installer run pump to obtain the ip address and so on
automatically and it returns a message after about 20 seconds or so stating
the configuration failed. I can't get any useful information as to why it
failed. I tried running pump by hand to see if anything of value would come
from it and yet nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions I might try? It
appears as far as I can determine that the cable connection is working or
so all the lights on the cable modem would indicate this and the network
card worked fine previously in this box when I had dsl.

tia
Scott