iptables question

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Mon Sep 22 19:16:57 EDT 2003

Gregory Nowak staggered into view and mumbled:

>Hi all.
>
>I looked at the iptables man page, but found it somewhat confusing, so
>I am asking the following here in hopes of getting an answer.
>
>Is there a way to have iptables take an outbound connection on for
>example tcp port 1, and redirect it so that it's made on tcp port 2
>instead?
>
>If this is possible, then could someone please tell me what the
>iptables commandline for this would look like?
>Thanks in advance.

I found the iptables man page difficult at first, but the more I work
with it the more it makes sense.  I discovered by trial and error
that the command line parameters described nearer the top of the man
page generally must appear on the command line before those described
further towards the bottom of the man page--much more so than for any
other man page I recall reading.  Furthermore, iptables command
lines can look pretty cryptic, especially to those of us who have not
worked with iptables much.  However, iptables is a powerful tool
which seems to be well worth learning.  The particular application
you want to perform seems to be the kind of firewall operation
iptables should handle well.  You might want to go to the
securityfocus.com web site, join the firewalls email list listed
there, and ask your question in that email list.  I hope this info
proves helpful.

Have a _great_ day!

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
TAN (x) = SIN (x) / COS (x)