Having a script executed for all users?

Buddy Brannan davros at ycardz.com
Sun Sep 21 12:33:19 EDT 2003

Why do you want to execute them upon login?

Really, those should be executed when you boot your machine and should
therefore be put in your startup sequence somewhere...preferably
wherever it is you initialize the rest of your Speakup stuff. I don't
remember what distro you use, so this will vary. In Debian, you want a
file called something like S99speakupinit (make the number lower to
have it run earlier in the boot sequence). Call it whatever you like,
but the capital s denotes that it run on startup. Put this in the run
levels you want, i.e. /etc/rc2.d/S99speakupinit if you primrily use
runlevel 2. There's a way to do this automagically, but I don't
remember it...just make a file with the right sort of name with the
commands you want in it and it'll run when you boot your
machine. Putting those lines in your .profile would (assuming you had
write permissions of course) run *every time* you logged in, which
doesn't make a lot of sense for what you're wanting to do.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV/3    | But I will lay my burden
Email: davros at ycardz.com   | in the cradle of your grace,