OK

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Sep 18 16:34:32 EDT 2003

OK, let me try and be nice.

It matters because you want to get the source that matches the kernel
you're using. Otherwise, ALSA isn't going to work for you. Of course,
you could always just recompile the kernel, but I didn't think that was
what you wanted to do.

I have no idea of how things are done in Slack, but if there's a
standard methodology for obtaining packages, you most certainly want to
follow that methodology especially if you're just learning how to do
things. To stray is to ask for trouble and frustration. In fact, it
might almost be like begging for it.

For better or for worse, the distros do things a bit differently, i.e.
your choices to have consequences.