Caller ID

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Thu Sep 18 16:22:05 EDT 2003

I'm not sure if the creative modems are supported, maybe someone else
knows.

If you type "dmesg |more", you will get the kernel messages that are
printed to the screen at startup. Use the space bar to scroll down.

Here is an example of what shows up for my hardware modem which is a
U.S. Robotics 2976.

Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ
SERIAL_PCI enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
PCI: Found IRQ 12 for device 00:09.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 12 with 00:0f.0
Redundant entry in serial pci_table.  Please send the output of
lspci -vv, this message (12b9,1008,12b9,00aa)
and the manufacturer and name of serial board or modem board
to serial-pci-info at lists.sourceforge.net.
ttyS04 at port 0xc400 (irq = 12) is a 16550A

In this case, /dev/ttyS4 is my modem.

If you can't figure out if your modem is in the output, type
dmesg >dmesg.txt
and mail me the dmesg.txt file off list.

Also, if you are sure the modem is pci, type
lspci |more
which will provide a listing of the pci devices in your system. For
example, the entry for my modem is:

00:09.0 Serial controller: US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610
(rev 01)

You will need to issue the lspci command as root.

Greg