problem with usb flash drive.

Thomas Stivers stivers_t at tomass.dyndns.org
Wed Sep 17 14:14:17 EDT 2003

I have been following the discussions lately about usb flash drives and
just yesterday i was given one as a gift. I have been trying what has
been suggested on this list to no avail. I get the following messages
when I try to mount /dev/sda[1-4] anywhere.

Sep 17 12:57:14 tomass kernel:  I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 0
Sep 17 12:57:14 tomass kernel: FAT: unable to read boot sector
Sep 17 12:57:35 tomass kernel:  I/O error: dev 08:04, sector 0
Sep 17 12:57:35 tomass kernel: FAT: unable to read boot sector

All the correct modules seem to be loaded, but still no go. All the
modules in this case are usb-storage and sd (for scsi disks) the other
scsi stuff is compiled into the kernel.

The drive is an apacer handy-steno 2.0 and it works on a windows xp box
without any trouble. I would suspect that it doesn't support linux, but
the packaging says that it is supported by linux versions 2.4.0 and
later. Oops almost forgot I am running linux 2.4.21 patched with cvs
speakup, but that shouldn't make a difference. Any tips or advice on
what to try next would be appreciated.

--
Unix is a user friendly operating system. It just picks its friends more
carefully than others.