Redhat 8.0 updates

Joseph Norton jenorton at chartertn.net
Fri Sep 12 18:11:24 EDT 2003

Hi listers:

I know that speakup is gone from RH 8.0, but, when I run an update with
the up2date program, it gets the latest kernel that 8.0 uses
(2.4.20-something).  Also, however, it gets something which identifies
itself as v2.4.18.2780-debug (I may not have the punctuarion correct
there), which still has speakup in it.  Also, the 2.4.20 kernel is there
without speakup, but, it is not the default grub option.

Any caveats to this that I need to be aware of?  The v2.4.18.2780 kernel
seems to work ok, but, I know there were some issues with some other
packages that needed 2.4.20.  I may go ahead and play with the rh9 disks
up on the ftp site, but, I am also curious about rh8 as well.

Thanks!