OT: Kernel Compile And Module Dependancy Problems

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Tue Sep 2 01:32:06 EDT 2003

I have been running on 2.4.20 for some time.

I just modified my .config, by removing some sections and options, and
having make oldconfig fill in the blanks.
All goes well with the compile:

make clean
make mrproper
make oldconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

No problems.  Then, I run:

update-modules

and get:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/scsi/sg.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/scsi/sr_mod.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/net/8021q/8021q.o

This didn't used to happen, prior to the last bout of config changes.
I tried configuring with and without modversions set and not, with no
difference.

Probably not enough information, but what are thoughts?

Thanks

Luke