A technical question about Linux

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Mon Sep 1 16:39:36 EDT 2003

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Danny Crone wrote:

> Hello Jes.  I think it is that linux seems to use resources more
> efficiently than does windows.

I'd agree with that.  However, I think the graphical user interface is the
biggest hog in Windows.  I say this because I tried out the Gnome desktop
under X with an early version of Gnopernicus.  I found it to be as slow
as, if not slower than Windows.  The big difference is that if X crashes,
the operating system doesn't get taken out with it.  Unlike Windows,
graphics are not an integral part of the operating system.  Compare a
Windows startup to a Linux one.  Linux shows text messages telling you
what hardware is found, etc.  Windows shows you a graphical logo, and goes
graphical at the earliest opportunity.