Help With Exim Mailer

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Mon Oct 27 19:22:07 EST 2003

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Rejean Proulx wrote:

> I need help badly.  I can get exim to send external mail.  I can't mail
> anything to my local address like rejean at interfree.ca.  It won't receive any
> mail from anyone.  I have the IP
> 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24 set up  In the log it thinks I am using
> 192.168.1.1  I wonder if that has anything to do with it?  Here is part of
> the log.  I need expert help.  At least someone who is more of an expert
> than I am, which might not be hard.

Ok, did you take my advice and read the chapter about testing your exim
configuration?  If you had done so you'd have found thi problem before
trying it on live email.  It looks like you might need to check the
permitions on /var/spool/mail and assosciated files, either that or run
the deliveries as mail as shown in the relevant transport; the config file
should help you here.

I cannot say strongly enough how important it is that you know what you
are doing before setting up such a system, as if you are not careful you
could end up loosing your email and that of any users you might have, and
also get yourself into trouble if you have not properly secured your
server against attack such as ensuring that it is not an open mail relay.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808