Help with date and redhat 9

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Sun Oct 26 17:29:11 EST 2003

Hi. the timeserver I've been using is time-nw.nist.gov. I have cron
run this once an hour by putting a sscript like this in my
/etc/cron.hourly directory:
#!/bin/bash
ntpdate -b time-nw.nist.gov

this tells ntpdate to get the current time from time-nw.nist.gov. I'm
not sure if readhat has a cron.hourly directory but if it doesn't just
add the above command to your crontab with crontab -e. read the
manpage for crontab for more info on the syntax.
On
Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 04:20:49PM -0500, Sina Bahram wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I am having a bit of a problem with the date command. I want to set it
> up so that my computer can fetch the current date from a time server.
> However, I know of no time servers and I also have no clue how to pass
> the correct arguments to the date command. Can anyone help me out on
> this?
>
> What should be the commands to the date command to tell it to look at
> some server for the time, and set the system time accordingly.
> I am on eastern standard time if that helps.
>
> Thanks,
> Sina
>
> No trees were destroyed in sending this message. However, a large number
> of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?