Can get but can't send mail from my Red Hat 9

Joe Clever lists at clevercentral.com
Sun Oct 26 12:26:56 EST 2003

Krister,

If you have both sendmail and postfix installed on your system, there is a
tool in Redhat 9 to switch between them. Run the command
"redhat-switch-mail" and then select postfix, if that is what you want.

My suggestion is that you run the pine mail program to see if you can
communicate with your ISP's MTA, before trying to configure postfix with
mutt or postfix with pine. I think that pine works pretty much right out of
the box with the exceptions of the same things you would have to configure
with any MUA. Within pine there is a setup|configure menu, so no need to
muck with a config file, directly. I prefer to break things down into small
steps, before tackling something more complex, i.e. MUA to ISP, before MUA
to your MTA to ISP's MTA.

I have not used mutt, but someone pointed out in another thread that mutt
may not be capable of sending mail directly to your ISP. One of these days I
will setup mutt because I want threaded mail.

A caveat, make sure that you do not have firewall rules blocking any of the
services that you wish to run. On installation of Redhat 9, you were asked
what kind of security/firewall rules you wanted to run with.

On a personal note, I have been struggling with Linux for several years. At
times, it is frustrating because of the lack of, or the overabundance of
often poor documentation. At times, I wonder if it is worth the effort. At
times, I have had to walk away from it for awhile. As former president
Clinton used to say, "I feel your pain". I really do.