the value of silence

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Sun Oct 26 06:49:23 EST 2003

I share the distress Jes has expressed, but do not endorse his
call for Kirk to intervene. Instead I endorse the appeal Shaun
has made to ignore the fellow. I would add to that the
recommendation to ignore the entire thread. Here is my thinking
on it:

We are (or ought to be) a community of adults capable of solving
group problems in a group way. Kirk's role as "moderator" is a
technical one only. He maintains the subscription list, trouble
shoots problems in list distribution, and so on, plus of course
his authoritative inputs on technical matters, particularly
speakup issues. But he is not our parent or our camp counselor
who will step in and fix things for us when we cannot fix them
ourselves. I am sure Kirk is as pissed off as any of us with this
thread, and he has taken the route that we should all take:
absolute silence.

I have modified my procmail rules for two reasons, and include
the revision below. One reason is that my original posting failed
to intercept messages from kevin, so that has been changed so it
now works. The other reason is that it is no longer just kevin's
postings that are the problem, as Jes as pointed out, but the
entire banter they have spawned among the rest of us, who seem to
keep trying to find a handle on this bowl of porridge. So I
added a rule to detect and deep six all mail with the string
"***SPAM***" on the subject line. I intend to enjoy a relatively
peaceful Sunday with only the useful and interesting stuff
reaching me from now on. I am an old man and do not have the
time to wade through the crap searching for something to think
about.

Here is my revision:

:0 c
* ^Subject: .*\*\*\*SPAM\*\*\*
 | play /usr/local/etc/flush.wav
:0 A
$HOME/mail/spam
:0 c
* ^From: .*<kjsisco at rcn.com>
 | play /usr/local/etc/flush.wav
:0 A
$HOME/mail/spam

Those of you not yet running Linux will not be able to use the
above procmail solution, sorry about that, so get a wiggle on and
move on up!!!

Chuck

 Get my public key from website, http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh