*** Spam and whatever

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Sat Oct 25 11:13:44 EDT 2003

Hi Allan,

You have us at a disadvantage since we have all read Kevin on the
subject; it is probably easier to figure out what he is saying
from only the replies of puzzled others, as you have done.

If your analysis is correct about the thin-client idea, let me
ask what is probably a dumb question...

Speakup drives a hardware synthesizer on the Linux box where it
is implemented. How would one send speech output over a link to a
client machine? How would the client machine reproduce the sound?
I can understand shipping keystrokes, mouse tracks, and video
over a network link, but how would one ship the speech? I guess I
still don't get it.

Chuck

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Allan Shaw wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> although I didn't read the initial note from Kevin, I have read many of
> your responses and based solely on them I think I know what Kevin is
> asking, so let me give it a try.
>
> summary, I believe Kevin is wondering if he could connect from his Windows
> workstation to a Linux environment which has Speakup install on to and be
> able to use the speech from the linux environment work across the network
> on his Windows workstation.
>
> Assuming the above summary is correct, and yes that's a big assumption!
> What Kevin is asking about is what we refer to as a Thin-client environment
> such as is used with the Microsoft Terminal server or the Citrix Metaframe
> environment.  In both these cases all apps, are installed and driven from
> the server with only the (video, keyboard and mouse stokes and in this case
> speech) sent across the network to the individual workstation.  In answer
> to someone elses inquiry if this uses considerable bandwidth the answer is
> no, that's why we call it a Thin-Client.
>
> Now, although I'm new to the linux environment, to the best of my limited
> knowledge a terminal server product is not yet available for the linux
> platform.  However with the speed in which products are being developped
> for Linux, you may only have to wait six months and one will be available.
>
> ... now if I'm way off base here, sorry for the inconvenience and you may
> ignore.

The Moon is New
 Get my public key from website, http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh