*** Spam and whatever

Allan Shaw technews at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 25 10:28:54 EDT 2003

Hi folks,

although I didn't read the initial note from Kevin, I have read many of
your responses and based solely on them I think I know what Kevin is
asking, so let me give it a try.

summary, I believe Kevin is wondering if he could connect from his Windows
workstation to a Linux environment which has Speakup install on to and be
able to use the speech from the linux environment work across the network
on his Windows workstation.

Assuming the above summary is correct, and yes that's a big assumption!
What Kevin is asking about is what we refer to as a Thin-client environment
such as is used with the Microsoft Terminal server or the Citrix Metaframe
environment.  In both these cases all apps, are installed and driven from
the server with only the (video, keyboard and mouse stokes and in this case
speech) sent across the network to the individual workstation.  In answer
to someone elses inquiry if this uses considerable bandwidth the answer is
no, that's why we call it a Thin-Client.

Now, although I'm new to the linux environment, to the best of my limited
knowledge a terminal server product is not yet available for the linux
platform.  However with the speed in which products are being developped
for Linux, you may only have to wait six months and one will be available.

... now if I'm way off base here, sorry for the inconvenience and you may
ignore.