buying a UPS

Joe Clever lists at clevercentral.com
Wed Oct 22 17:53:11 EDT 2003

Alex,

I have been using a Belkin 625VA Regulator Pro Gold for the last 18 months.
It has been very useful due to frequent, short power outages (less than 1
minute) in my area. It also has built in surge protection for a network or
telephone line. This model is no longer available, but Belkin makes many
models. Mine came with Linux software by Belkin, usable from the shell or
GUI and client/server type administration. I paid around $150, shipped. It
may be cheaper to buy one locally, as shipping can be expensive on a UPS.
You can find good rebates at times at office superstores.

In my area, when I lose power, the cable system sometimes goes down, too. I
still plug my cable modem into the UPS, though. Hey, they have to power
their amps and headend with something, too.

For a really cheap UPS, I have been thinking about buying a closeout model
that I have seen at:

http://www.evertek.com/viewpart.asp?auto=9414

for $32 for a noname 500VA UPS with a serial port. I have no idea if it will
work with Linux, but there is a mention of it working with NT. Anybody want
to gamble?