Problems With Exim Logs

Rejean Proulx rejean at interfree.ca
Sun Oct 19 21:54:15 EDT 2003

I was debugging exim to make sure the relays were right so I was in and out
of the logs quite a bit.  I don't know what I managed to do, but now when I
do a command exim -qff I get cannot open main log file
/var/log/exim/mainlog, permission denied.

I set the folder and log permissions to 660 to make sure it would have
enough permission.  I checked and apparently the owner should be user mail
and group adm  I got frustrated and uninstalled exim and installed it again.
I still have the log problem.  Any hints as to where else to look?  Please
someone check to see who the owner user id and group is on your debian
system.  Check to see if the folder /var/log/exim has the same owner as the
files inside.

 Rejean Proulx
Visit my family at http://interfree.ca
MSN is: rejp at rogers.com