My redhat doesn't speak

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Oct 19 11:15:04 EDT 2003

No, not a mistake. You're just not giving enough information for us to
be helpful to you. That's why this is taking so long.

So, you have a boot floppy. So, what do you do with it?

I assume you will say you put it in the drive and start the system
booting. But, what else? This answer is the key, I think.

It's not enough to just boot from this floppy. That will not give you
speech. Why? Well, because you haven't told the boot process what
synthesizer you are using. And, you probably haven't constructed an
initrd that includes the driver for your speech synthesizer.

So, let's get to the point--the thing you should have told us last week!
What synth do you have? Where is it connected?

Krister Ekstrom writes:
> From: Krister Ekstrom <crisekstrom at bredband.net>

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group