setting up an nntp server

gena-j at ntlworld.com gena-j at ntlworld.com
Sun Oct 19 08:54:02 EDT 2003

Hi

Yes Alex, it would be useful if you mentioned what distro you were
using.  Having said which, you'll still need to identify a public
server.  I'd suggest that you use Google and search for "ntp public
servers" and choose one that offers open access for Linux near to you.
When you have a couple then you can enter them in the appropriate
script.

Again, if your using Debian:

apt-cache show chrony
Package: chrony
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 744
Maintainer: John Hasler <jhasler at debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.20-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2-1), libncurses5 (>= 5.3.20030510-1),
libreadline4 (>= 4.3-1)
Conflicts: ntp, ntpsimple, ntprefclock
Filename: pool/main/c/chrony/chrony_1.20-1_i386.deb
Size: 301192
MD5sum: 95cff98093d5e6665c4f7dd773d3f0d7
 It consists of a pair of programs :
 `chronyd'.  This is a daemon which runs in background on the system.
It
 obtains measurements (e.g. via the network) of the system's offset
 relative to other systems, and adjusts the system time accordingly.
For
 isolated systems, the user can periodically enter the correct time by
hand
 (using `chronyc').  In either case, `chronyd' determines the rate at
which
 the computer gains or loses time, and compensates for this.  Chronyd
 implements the NTP protocol and can act as either a client or a server.
 `chronyc'.  This is a command-line driven control and monitoring
program.
 An administrator can use this to fine-tune various parameters within
the
 daemon, add or delete servers etc whilst the daemon is running.

HTH

Gena