Sym Files

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Sun Oct 19 04:10:08 EDT 2003

Steve Holmes staggered into view and mumbled:

>Thanks also for that description; I never really realized what that
>single digit meant.  I've used soft sym links quite a bit over time -
>they just seemed to make more sense to me.  I can't say right now the
>real practical value of a harde link but I'm sure there's something.

If a large number of soft links point to a single file, and that file
is deleted, trying to access the deleted file via the remaining soft
links will produce an error since they point to nothing.  If a file
is accessible via several hard links, deleting one of the hard links
does not make the file inaccessible.  Of course, hard links can only
be made to files on the same file system--no hard links to files on
other partitions--while soft links can point to files anywhere on a
system.  You will have to decide which is best for any given
situation.  I hope this extra info proves useful.  Have a _great_
day!

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
COSECANT (x) = COTAN (x) / TAN (x)