Inquiry

Allan Shaw technews at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 18 13:06:05 EDT 2003

Hi folks,

I'm a new member to this list, linux and the speakup product but I've been
involved in the IT field for about 20 years now.  I just about to set up my
first Linux box with speakup and hope you can give me some advice and
excuse the dum questions.

1: Does speakup require any specific version of Linux such as Redhat 7 or
above?

2: I've downloaded the Speakup product and was wondering where I should
place it on the Linux box prior to unpacking it, is there a recommended
location?

2A: ... and can someone tell me what the command is to unpack the package?

3: In a previous note which I read on this list, someone mentioned
something about a speech enabled kernal.  Now I may have misunderstood this
note but do I have to replace the kernal with a speech enabled one prior to
trying to set up Speakup?

4: The version of Linux I'll be using was obtained from the clarkConnect
site whom I believe uses the Redhat product, they've just done some
tweeking.  Is anyone else on the list using this Linux configuration and if
so what has your experience been?

Thanks for all the help.