Speakup and international keyboards

Terry D. Cudney terry at CottageInWasaga.com
Tue Oct 14 09:02:56 EDT 2003

Hi Krister,

	Best suggestion I could make would be to compile your own custom kernel using the cvs version of speakup. As far as I know, there isn't any linux distribution  using the newer speakup versions that allow the combination of a non-US keymap with the speakup keymap. I believe some people were doing this with the earlier speakup versions, but with varying degrees of success/problems.
	The current versions of cvs speakup (for the last few months anyway) are using a compiled in speakup-keymap that doesn't interfere with any other keymap loaded in with 'loadkeys'.

	Since you're using RedHat, you might want to contact Bill Acker on this list (or off list) since he's the RedHat key man. In fact he may have kernels pre-compiled for RedHat withthe newere  speakup-keymap implemented in them...

	the reason that the new speakup keymap arrangement was put in, was exactly for people like yourself, who want to use speakup with non-US keymappings.

HTH,

	--terry