Another Build Success with CVS

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Oct 13 13:10:20 EDT 2003

Just a quick note to say that I've (finally) succeeded in building a
new, Speakup enabled kernel for an old system I picked up at a show for
$40.

This is a Pentium II, 200 Mhz chip and the system has 32 Mb of RAM. I
initially installed Woody using Frank Carmickle's installation floppies.
I've now upgraded to a 2.4.22 kernel with a CVS checkout of Speakup from
yesterday. I compiled the DTLK driver into the kernel to get it to start
talking at the same point that Sopeakup 1.5 starts talking.

It's working well. I dare say it's working even better than Speakup 1.5
over 2.4.17. Much snappier.

PS: I use this sytem primarily as a terminal to other computers on my
home network.