printing problem

Igor Gueths igueths at comcast.net
Sat Oct 11 23:02:47 EDT 2003

Hi all. I recently switched to Cups from lpd in hopes of better
functionality. However I am having a few problems. I currently have an
HP-DeskJet400. According to linuxprinting.org, that printer works
perfectly with Cups and the asociated foomatic scripts
(foomatic-gswrapper, and foomatic-rip). I installed these scripts and put
symlinks in /usr/lib/cups/filter so cups could find them. I also
reconfigured Cups via the web interface to use the Hpijs/foomatic driver.
I also installed the most current ESP-Ghostscript from ftp.easysw.com.
However, after doing all this, I tried lpr test.txt (a file I created) and
I get no output from the printer. And in the rare instances where I do get
output it is unreadable. Am I missing something here? Should I have done
something I didn't? I also checked /var/log/cups/errorlog, and there
didn't seem to be any problem. All the filters seem to have started with
no problems what so ever. Currently running Slackware-9.0 with
Cups-1.1.20RC2, kernel-2.4.20. Note I also downloaded the ppd from
linuxprinting.org which was indicated to work with the Deskjet-400. Anyone
have any ideas on this one? Thanks!