Removed What I Shouldn't

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at chartermi.net
Sat Oct 11 02:12:12 EDT 2003

Well, if you removed it but didn't purge it, as i understand it, it isn't
"hiding" from you; you really did remove it but the configuration files
weren't destroyed. If you removed it in debian in an orthodox manner (with
apt-get or aptitude or dselect or dpkg), a simple apt-get install
(package-name)
should put it back. I don't thing dpkg -i will work here unless the actual
.deb package is still on your system--it might be if you haven't run
apt-get clean in a while but you should be doing that pretty regularly or
your space in /var will disappear (happened to me once!) If, on the other
hand, you removed the package or part thereof in some unorthodox way, so
that dpkg thinks it isn't completely installed or uninstalled, life could
be a little bit more difficult though not impossible. but I won't go into
that if it isn't necessary. Just see if you can't get it back with the
apt-get install command.

--
Cheryl