OCR gets better!

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Fri Oct 10 20:40:43 EDT 2003

Socrates calls Sane to scan, then Gocr to recognize the text.  It then
pipes the results through whatever pager is set by your $PAGER variable.
Gocr isn't all that good, and I found that while Socrates worked with my
old HP scanner, it did not with the Umax I now have because it scans in
color mode by default, which Gocr can't handle.  Fine is a very nice OCR
engine, but extremely slow.  I may have a look at their web site.  It's
too bad gocr isn't better, but I don't know of many people with the
knowledge of how OCR works who would be willing to produce a free OCR
engine.