File Permitions

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Fri Oct 10 03:35:16 EDT 2003

ls -l

Will show something like, in the first column:

drwxrw-r--

The fields are as follows:

first: a d for directories, and other characters (usually a dash for
regular files), representing the file's type.
Next is the user, group, and world permission sets, each with three
fields.
You will get an r for readable, a w for writable, and an x for executable.
You will see a dash for anything that is not set.  So, for resolv.conf:

ls -l resolv.conf

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Rejean Proulx wrote:

> I know how to change permission for a file by using chmod, but how to I find
> out what permission the file has before I change it?  I tried reading about
> ls or chmod itself but no luck so far.
>
>  Rejean Proulx
> Visit my family at http://interfree.ca
> MSN is: rejp at rogers.com
> Ham License VA3REJ

Want a free month of internet access on a great ISP?  Go here:
http://www.tacticus.com/net/