CD Bible

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Oct 2 19:46:47 EDT 2003

You might want to know that the dict command typically includes Easton's
searches. So, for example, you can do the following at a bash prompt:

dict ephesus

and get the Easton's entry, along with some other entries.

As for having a Bible on your computer, if you're on Debian, try:

apt-cache search bible

I think you'll have fun with the results, many of which you can easily
install and use. To install any one you would, of course, do:

apt-get install [package name]

Diana Dawne writes:
> From: Diana Dawne <dianasaur at octothorp.org>
>
> I would find that of interest, but I think my friend is wanting other
> things like a concordance and that kind of thing.
>
> love,
>
> Diana
>
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003,
> Ralph W. Reid wrote:
>
> > Diana Dawne staggered into view and mumbled:
> > >
> > >Hi everyone.  I am aware that there are many different cd Bibles out
> > >there.  What might be a good one for us?  I have a friend who is looking
> > >for either that, or she has heard that it is available in a stand alone
> > >thing, kind of like the franklin dictionary.  Could someone make some
> > >suggestions?
> >
> > Which translation and what kind of features are you looking for?  One
> > King James translation which works well on LINUX (and other OS's) can
> > be found at ftp site ftp.cdrom.com in /pub/simtelnet/msdos/bible.
> > Get the files kbib-kj*.zip and unzip them into an empty directory
> > (the resulting files will require over 4 MB of space).  While
> > this particular release was originally set up for DOS systems, the
> > books are in ASCII text files with only enough non-printable
> > characters to indicate beginnings of verses.  The text is easily
> > readable with Speakup on LINUX.  This version can be downloaded and
> > burned onto a CD if you have to have a CD copy, but it is pure text
> > (no pictures, sounds, smells, or tastes:)), so it may not be quite
> > what you are looking for.
> >
> > I hope this helps, and have a _great_ day!

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Working Group
Free Standards Group