gnome problems under slackware

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 22:09:42 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Jacob Schmude wrote:

> Hi Did you configure X correctly? My guess is that X locked up either
> due to lack of configuration or incorrect configuration. Best way is to
> run xfree86-setup utility that comes with slack, then edit
> /etc/X11/XF86Config and put in your monitor's horizontal and vertical
> sync rates if you need to. Also, make sure you have a mouse plugged in,
> I've had X lock up on me for having no mouse. I think you may be going
> about starting gnome and gnopernicus the wrong way. What you probably
> want to do is:

Rather than edit xf86config directly, you could always run xf86config, as
root, which guides you through everything you need.

> 1. link /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.gnome to /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, this is
>    probably why you only heard a very small bit of hd activity. Gnome
>    was probably not the default window manager.

The program xwmconfig, which you run as each user you want to use X with,
will allow you to select your windoww manager.  This may be specific to
Slackware, as I've not seen it in any other distro; it's a nice feature
though when you may have a friend using your box who wants to use
something more lightweight than gonme, who has sight.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808